Tuesday, March 11, 2008


We've been feeling a little bit like frogs in hot water recently. You know the old adage: place a frog into boiling water and it'll jump out; put the same frog in cold water and apply heat, you have a cooked frog.

Although I don't mean to belittle the experience of Jews in Nazi Germany by any means, I sometimes do feel like I know to some extent what they went through in the years leading up to the concentration camps. Hitler didn't just suddenly round up the jews and the gays and ship them off. His process was a very slow and dedicated method of stripping the jews of their rights and freedoms, one at a time. I suppose one must have thought, "Well, we can't go to the market on Tuesdays anymore. Well, what can you do? We still have the rest of the week." And on this note Hitler was able to suppress any uprising by doing it slowly and methodically.

My point is that schools here, and mine is the case in point, have a tendency to hook you into working for them, and then slowly and continuously pile on the work, contractual obligations and promises be damned, until it reaches a breaking point. I haven't had to suffer this so much recently as I work solely in the kindergarten, so my kids don't have as much homework and tests as the older kids do (but they DO get some homework, almost everyday. These are four and five year olds. With homework. It's sick).

Rob's getting the shit absolutely thrown at him: they are demanding nearly four hours of out of class work per week, unpaid, which includes creating homework and tests, marking the homework and tests, as well as writing daily personal records in each of their communication books that get sent home to the parents. The most recent disgrace is that, even if he spends several hours creating the tests and homework on the weekend, the boss can say that she doesn't like it, change anything she deems unfit, and then not pay him for the work because it wasn't good enough.

Oh, and they also wouldn't mind if he could teach them the material in the curriculum as well. Did I mention that his Chinese co-teacher quit suddenly a few weeks ago, and there hasn't been even a whisper of a replacement? That means he has the work of three people now, as the co-teachers usually do double the work of a normal person, for half the pay and double the hours. Did that make any sense? Basically we make six times what they do.

The administration are walking on thin ice treating Rob in this abusive manner. He's ready to pack up and go, and frankly if he loses his job today, they don't lose only him, I'll be right behind him, quitting on his heels. They may think they can afford to fuck with him, but the school is in dire straights recently and I know they'd be rather screwed if they lost two teachers mid-semester; the parents just wouldn't put up with it and the school would see many kids pulled. Thankfully, Rob has a meeting today with both of the directors of the school to see if he can't get something resolved. I think he's going to ask to either be paid for his time, no questions, or get out of creating the extra homework and tests, especially if they are going to claim veto power.

I just want to add that we are aware that "real" teachers in the west are overworked and underpaid and have all worlds of extra work that they are expected to do. However, I do believe that this is laid out in contracts, and is a known aspect of the job, so it doesn't come as a surprise to them when this happens. For us, we were hired for a job and they are slowly cooking us alive with these menial tasks and downright disrespectful and abusive behavior.

Will keep you posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good laugh. . I needed it. Word of caution - don't apply for teaching jobs in the western world!!! No, extra curricular activities and expectations are not contractual. And yes, even though a scheduled work day is usually 8:30 - 3:00 at the elementary grades, yes teachers are expected to do marking, making up tests, do extra activities and attend many, many meetings for professional development. Sorry to burst your bubble, but do you really think that if the two of you left China, that the government would revamp the educational system???? And don't even get me started on class sizes, without TAs. Sorry for the lack of tears, but suck it up, and Rob - get a grip, be part of a team and think outside of "your box" Hope this isn't just an excuse to fuel the reason why you are leaving . . .no money saved, blah, blah, blah. Besides, looks bad on a resume!!!
Believe it or not, but these words are out of kindness and a reality check. I know it is hard to have a measuring stick for your progress and abilities there, but work on professional development and lead by example.

lots of love Auntie B

Cody Rothery said...

Hey Auntie B, thanks for the comment!

I just wanted to clarify a few things...

First, although we are teachers right now, I never had aspirations of becoming a "real" teacher, least of all not one in the western world. I never had any illusions that the position I hold here in Taiwan teaching English is anything comparable to being a teacher back home. I'm aware that it takes a very special and patient person to succeed in the education system that currently exits in the west, and Rob and I are clearly not cut from that fabric, and we are now making plans to get out as soon as is economically feasible. Or when China bombs us, whichever comes first, lol!

My current pains (or I should really say they are Rob's issues) boil down to contractual obligations and respect. As foreigners, we are in Taiwan legally, but working in illegal positions, which implicity nullifies any "contract" we have to sign with our employers. Not many of us foreigners are aware of that fact, and employers try their best to take advantage of our presumed ignorance and slowly exploit us for all the extra work they can.

In general, the local staf resent us because we make double to triple the salary they do, and on top of that work half to a third of the hours. Oh, and then there is all the bitching and moaning that we do because our jobs are so terrible. I certainly don't blame them their animosity, but I don't think that it's fair for them to overlook breach of contract when it is them doing it and be able to fire us when it is us in breach, which was the newest threat this week; my boss threatened me that she was going to fire Rob if I didn't help him fix the communication problem that he apparently has with her. Right, it's all my fault...

I remember when I lived in a country that appreciated hard work and rewarded one for a job well done, where they said things like "think outside of the box" and "teamwork." Ha freakin' ha. The work culture here runs completely opposite to any form of logic one may have developed in the west. If I had to define teamwork from a Chinese perspective, I'd include the following rules: don't rock the boat, don't speak your mind, don't ask for help, don't be responsible for your actions, manipulate, lie to and brainwash your staff, and make major changes without thinking them through or taking responsibility when things fail.

Wow, that was a bit of a rant, wasn't it? It's not directed at you, trust me, you've just given me an opportunity to get some of this off my chest.

One last thing, we work in a private school, not a government funded public school. We also have friends who work in the Taipei American School as well as the Taipei European School, which are generally run in a similar fashion as western schools. So I know intimately the workloads they have to deal with and the troubles they face, and although I sympathize, I can honestly say I will NEVER pursue a career in teaching, not with what they have to deal with.

Teaching English in Taiwan make me feel like I ordered strawberry pie and got liver and onions. Ooh, I don't know where that misplaced metaphor came from, but I'm leaving it where it is!!

By the way, thanks for reading the blog, and feel free to tell us to suck it up anytime!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, glad you had a chance to respond. And yes . .lol . . I will tell you to suck it up as needed. I know that you don't have much of a support network over there, compared with a legal, binding contract position, so this has been a real eye opener, and perhaps made you two more aware of authoritive obligations. Feel free to rant in my direction anytime - and yup, sometimes directly at me. (Got big shoulders). Oh, and do not think that teachers in the west are a bunch of do gooder, mind expanding gods . . mostly a bunch of DFers with degrees and a really good union. Different perspectives are good!!! Oh, loved the liver and onions metaphor - hmmm, does it mean that you expected sweet and syruppy (sp?) and were delivered meat and veggies?? Of course another context could be that while you chose the dessert, a healthier alternative has been served . . doubt it but very philosophical in nature . . ha ha. Sounds like you have reached saturation point in that part of the world. Take care with travel plans - don't want to have to visit you in exile in Tibet !!!
love ya,
Auntie B