Sunday, April 06, 2008

Hunting for summer





If these were cave man days and my form of artistic expression and broadcast media were limited to cave drawings, I would be marking this day as the first official day of summer in wide swaths of charcoal. And also, I'd probably be hiding in my cave, where it's cool, and where I wouldn't have to deal with the heat induced ill-tempered cave peoples.

Of course it's not really the first official day of summer; I am familiar with how to read the Gregorian calendar. However, local forecasters are tagging the city at 32 degrees celsius in the shade, and that, to me, is summer weather by any standards. Clear blue sky on top of that, you'd think we'd be rushing out with sunscreen and shorts, cartwheeling in parks, frolicking barefooted with carefree ease. That was my natural first instinct when I woke up to see the clear blue sky this morning, and after a full winter of complaining about the cold and feeling like a monkey in a cage I'm certainly ready to leave the house a bit more. But am I really ready to deal with this heat?

For the time being the weather outside isn't quite hot enough to reach us in our inner sanctum, meaning we don't have to rely on the air conditioners or the space heater to make a comfortable temperature.

For the sake of my sanity and yours, I'll stop rambling now. I'm going to finish my strawberry-pineapple-papaya shake, grab my camera and head out of doors to see if there's anything to see. I go with optimism. Wish me luck that on my photo hunt I'm able to shoot anything worth it's meat.

No comments: