Saturday, July 05, 2008

Did they screw it up?


I got my visa the other day, right? And I should be ecstatic about it, but I noticed the dates in the visa were a little off what they should be, I'm a little worried and therefore less than ecstatic. Here's my issue: I received a two year visa, but I won't be traveling for another month, which means that the visa will only be valid for 23 months. If I want to apply for a permanent resident visa down the road, which I think I will, I need to have lived in the country for two years. That's 24 months. I can't apply for the visa more than 28 days in advance, which makes me short by 2 days. I can apply for an extension on my visa to cover the two days, but that will cost me £395 ($797CDN).

This is a mistake. I hope it is. I stated clearly, both in writing on my application and verbally in my interview that my intended travel date is July 30. So why does the visa expire on July 1? I want to believe that this is an honest, correctable mistake, and that the visa officers aren't just f*cking with my head. Could it be that when I do actually travel, the immigration officer will stamp my passport and my date of entry to the country will be my actual beginning of my visa? I've written to the visa office here in Taipei to ask that very question. I'm holding my breath.

No comments: